Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Where are the Men?

Lately I've been watching a certain commercial that never ceases to crack me up. Perhaps you've seen it, if not I'll show it to you:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA



In this commercial we see a former drill sergeant, played by R. Lee Ermey (of Full Metal Jacket fame, he also had two TV shows on History Channel), counseling another guy with some.... "issues". What the Sarge gives the man is a rather cleaned up kick in the hindquarters to get him to "man up".



However, I believe that a scenario like that portrayed in the commercial is but a small sample of what is running rampant in our culture at large. One cannot turn on the TV and see shows like "Two and a Half Men", "The Simpsons", "Family Guy" and numerous other TV shows that portray men as weak, dumb, and subservient. These "men" would sooner plop themselves in front of a TV, pop open a cold one, and just tune themselves out of the world. Though if that portrayal doesn't come up, then we have the "men" that go out and just live from day-to-day caring about their next hook-up.

What happened to the men? Where are the men who lived by codes of conduct that would honor their lady and lay down their lives for king and country? Where are the southern gentlemen who would hold their doors open for ladies because it was the right thing to do, instead of hoping to add brownie points for a possible "score"? Perhaps, most importantly of all, where are the men of God and why are they not making a stand for Him anymore?

Has manhood lost its definition? Can it be regained? I hope to answer some of these questions and give my opinion on them over the next several blog posts. I'd love some feedback and thoughts in regard to this as well.

No comments: